Sunday, March 22, 2015

Caleb Update

Hello Friends....

So many of you have walked with us, prayed with us and encouraged us over these last few weeks - for that we are grateful beyond words. The comfort of the extended body of care you have provided has been the very grace of God poured over us. Thank you for the way you have loved our family.

Reaching a decision for our next steps has been one of the hardest decisions we have ever had to make. We have poured out our hearts and sought the wisdom of our Heavenly Father, an extended body of doctors from around the country and many friends and family. Over the course of these elapsed weeks we have ranged in emotion and wavered in the level of peace we have carried. We were confident that the wisdom we so desperately wanted would come if we were patient and waited for the Lord's timing.

The choice before us ultimately seems best described as a choice between two risky options, and therein lies the trouble. Without getting into the mechanics of how we arrived at this decision I think it best to say we have chosen the path we feel led to walk, and we have peace in this choice. We are going to walk the path with the risks we are most comfortable with at this point in time - we are going to continue observation and not treatment.

We readily admit and recognize that we may eventually end up in treatment - but we are going to wait until there are presenting complications to make this decision. We know from conversations and research that the treatment options carry risks, and these risks are more than mere compromises of comfort. The risks of treatment are very likely, and in the face of a presenting problem to remedy the choice seems much clearer. However, given our current situation we are choosing the keep the risks of treatment at an arms length in exchange for the possibility of complications from the growth - or perhaps the hope that troubles will not ever manifest.

As I said before - there is not a clear option which can be described as "good" - there are two choices which carry risks, and we are choosing the risk we feel led to assume.

As for what is next - we are going to double down on eye doctor visits and likely have another mri in the near future. The eye doctors are wonderful and the capacity they have to analyze his vision is fantastic. We will rely upon his visual function tests to keep us informed. Secondly, we are headed for an endocrine review this Friday. Those tests help gauge his pituitary function. All of these visits are critical to keeping tabs on the progress of Caleb's health.

So... In conclusion we will share this from scripture:

do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (‭Philippians‬ ‭4‬:‭6-7‬ ESV)

We can say that this verse has come true for our family. In this decision no doubt, but honestly over these past 8+ years it has proven true over and over again. I will leave you with simply saying that we are at peace with the path we are on and we covet your continued prayers for wisdom and ultimately healing.

Thank you for your continued support, love and encouragement.

Austin & Nicole